Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
Yep, another Logitech product =). It seems every time I want something new, Logitech have an answer.
The reason I went for this one particularly is that it a) has good reviews and b) includes a clutch pedal and a 6-speed gear box.
As with all my other Logitech products, I got it from the good people of logitechshop.com.au. Ended up paying $299 with free postage, which to be honest, is about the best deal you’ll ever find on it.
So, some features I like:
- Clutch Pedal
- Nicely/realistically sprung pedals
- Leather coverings, though they are a little rough around the edges.
- 6-speed gearbox
- Force feedback on this thing is incredible, if its set high enough the damn thing feels like a car from the 70s with no power steering.
And things I don’t like so much:
- The pathetic plastic piece of crap clamps.
- WIRES! Everywhere! Seriously
- The LEDs don’t work with most games I’ve tried. Notably DiRT3(and 2)
- The gearbox feels a little plasticy
- Takes a fair bit to set up
Anyway, I think I got about 2-3 goes of it before one of the clamps decided to break off and so back off to Logitech it went. Amazingly it was a really easy task to get a Return Authorisation and ended up paying about $23 postage to NSW (LogitechShop.com.au).
So I got the new one a few weeks later (it took a few emails to get them to go pick it up from their Post Office). So far it’s sitting on my couch unopened, but im sure I’ll get to it sometime soon 🙂
In the few hours I had of the first one I tried it out in DiRT3. It took a little bit of tweaking of the advanced controller settings to get the feedback and vibration strengths right, but once it was right, man is it fun.
I found the best experience was when I changed the camera to the over-the-dash view making it just as real as possible.
Overall, its a truly awesome wheel that really makes car simulators really good fun. I hope one day to get a full enclosure, though maybe when I’ve got my own place to put it 😛
Leave a Reply