Yet another unlikely problem (nothing unusual there), but after installing Gallery3 via my host’s (VentraIP) Cpanel installer (Installatron), I got a 500 Internal Server error message.
After much Googling I didn’t find anything quite like my problem, yet I did notice a pattern: they all had to do with the php.ini or .htaccess files.
So the natural progression from there was to rename both the php.ini and .htaccess files to ensure that wasn’t the issue. Unfortunately I still got the 500 error.
Frustrated and without and further ideas, I discovered that I also had a php.ini and .htaccess file in the root directory (in which my Gallery folder resides). I renamed both and magically IT WORKED! So next I named the .htaccess back; still works.
And so then I knew the culprit was php.ini.
I went through all the entries commenting them out 1 by 1 and testing them until I came to the problem.
At the end of my ini file there was a zend_extension enabled that didn’t exist (probably a failed experiment from a long time ago).
Amazing that something so simple can bring down an entire web app.
Anyways, that’s fixed it; now I can add all my images (mostly wallpapers I’ve collected over the last few years, some of my own as well.
So I’ve had this on my mind for quite some time now, and its really been bothering me of late.
Have you ever noticed when an app has both Android and iPhone versions, that the Android version always takes second place?
Now that seems just really odd to me, especially considering Android is well ahead of iOS in overall market share.
Some specific examples I know personally:
Tap Tap Revenge (last updated in 2011) -no ICS support, does not support Galaxy Nexus’ screen. Developers are uninterested in answering questions, when I asked when a version that supports the Galaxy Nexus, they “don’t currently have that information”. Right.
Pocket Weather – an Aussie weather app that was great on iOS (back when I had an iPhone 3G), yet pretty unremarkable on Android. Developers promised to bring functionality to the same level when they released it on the market; 2.5 years later and its still but a shadow of the original.
EA Games (in general-all of them) –
Pretty much no EA games ever get updated. Most are rated terribly on the market, and they don’t seem to care one little bit.
The Sims 3 is a good example: It’s not compatible with ICS at all and hasn’t been updated since shortly after it was released.
Even more interesting is that they’ve just released The Sims Freeplay, months after ICS is released, and it is still incompatible with the Galaxy Nexus.
Plenty of other examples exist and I just can’t see why.
iOS costs more to develop on, has a more limited user base, is very constrained in what you can do with it and apps take forever to be approved by the censors.
The only reason I can think why it might be more difficult to program for the Android platform is that there are many different types of devices.
Personally, I see that as an advantage that could mean you can make an app for a specific device – a niche market (for a higher price. Or put a bit of work into making it compatible with all devices, make it cheaper, and rake in the money from thousands of devices.
Anyway, that’s my ramblings for the day, hopefully some day soon, the world will start to turn its back on the closed and dark world that is Apple, and start to embrace more the light of Android and enjoy the freedoms of Open Source 🙂
So I’ve had this problem with Windows Live Messenger since it’s release.
In WLM 2011 (version 15.4) they introduced a new feature that integrates with Facebook, which I
initially didn’t like, but now I like it! Only problem was that the feature that shows Facebook galleries within WLM always failed on access with Error code: 0x80042f0f after it comes up with “Loading album via Facebook”
After many months of it bugging me, I sorta gave up. Until now.
Whilst on holiday in South Australia, I noticed that my laptop did not exhibit the same problem (though I had tried it at home).
So obviously it was a problem with my internet connection (I used mobile broadband on holiday).
Today, I ran a Wireshark on my LAN connection when the error comes up and I managed to find the conversation and found some interesting information. Apparently the return page from that error was actually a HTML Error 417; a quick Google got me to this page
Simply put, Windows Live Messenger is asking for a specific header response. Apparently my Squid proxy (on my IPFire box) isn’t playing nice. WLM wants confirmation (Expect 100-continue), but Squid instead sends out an error message, and thus WLM doesn’t get what it expects and fails.
So to fix it, we need to put
In the squid.conf file (‘/var/ipfire/proxy’ in IPFire)
Although you should really put it in ‘/var/ipfire/proxy/advanced/acls/include.acl’ and reset the proxy from the web interface (if you change squid.conf directly you will overwrite it if you change anything in the web configuration page)
This will tell Squid to ignore the request, thus it will not send an error, and BAM its working!